This week, I:
- Was on holiday.
- Spent every day outdoors and fell in love with the Lake District.
- Had some excellent food and drink at The Round in Keswick.
- Learnt that the expression ‘black market’ comes from the illicit trade in Cumbrian graphite in the 1700s, which involved organised crime, armed guards on shipments, and eventually an Act of Parliament to ensure the security of the mines.
- Drove over the steepest hill pass in the country with visibility so poor that we drove straight past the Roman fort we were looking for.
- Read half a dozen papers for my DBA literature review, but otherwise switched off.